To read the Report on Women’s Participation in Politics, click here.
Background to the publication of the Report:
Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Law Reform and Women’s Rights
- April 2009 - the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Law Reform and Women’s Rights appointed a sub-committee on women’s participation in politics
- Senator Ivana Bacik was appointed Rapporteur to this Sub-Committee on Women’s Participation in Politics.
- The sub-Committee’s main objective was to examine the challenges facing women who wish to pursue a career in politics at local, national and European levels.
- With this aim in mind the sub-Committee set about its task by inviting former female politicians to make a presentation before the sub-Committee detailing their personal experiences before, during and after their time in politics.
- The sub-Committee also heard evidence from leading academic, Professor Yvonne Galligan who has carried out a number of detailed studies on the role of women in politics.
- The resultant report was published in October 2009, with unanimous support for its findings and recommendations.
To read my Statement, delivered during the discussion of the report in the Seanad on the 27th April 2010, click on the following link: Women’s Participation in Politics: Statements